Monday, May 3, 2010

Normal Mapping Difficulties

Although I have tried following the transfer maps tutorial mentioned in the previous post I have been unable to have much success.

As a test I simply extruded a couple of polygons on my fat dodo's chest so the create smooth bumps on his chest. As per the tutorial I duplicated my geometry, made my changes to the high quality mesh and then used transfer maps to create a normal map of the high quality mesh and apply it to the low quality mesh. This did work and a normal map has been created but as you can see in the images below the results are not desirable.

It looks like Maya has triangulated the high quality mesh and then created the normal map to apply to the low poly model which has result in lots of triangular impression on the model. Aside from the this the bumps I created as a test haven't appear properly either. I will talk to Paul about this in the tutorial tomorrow and see if he can point me in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment