Sunday, April 4, 2010

Flying Dodo Progress

Over the last week I have continued to focus on modelling my primary character. The dodo I have modelled includes wings as the opening scenes will show the dodo before it discovered the island of mauritius. To make my final dodo I will be reusing this dodo scaling it and modifying it into the plump flightless dodo we know today.

Overall I am quite happy with the flying dodo so far although I did experience a fair amount of difficulty import the dodo's head into the same Maya file as the body and attaching it to the body. The first few times I imported the head Maya file all that got imported was a messy pile of polygons that in no way represented the head. Eventually I exported the head as an FBX file and imported it which worked well.

I then had some difficulty attaching the head to the body as I hadn't correctly matched the number of vertex on the body's neck with the base of the head so I have two extra vertexes on the bodies side. In the end I think it would have been easier to just model the head as part of modelling the body rather than creating it in a completely separate Maya file.

Next I am going to UV map and texture the flying Dodo. As I have had no experience UV mapping or texturing before I am slightly worried about this step.

Low-Poly:
High-Poly:


No comments:

Post a Comment