Saturday, May 22, 2010

Scene Three Progress

Scene three is progressing to well as I have run into a problem. As part of achieving my goal of having the entire animatic play out in unit with no post editing I have been using a waypoint script to control character movement.

This worked well for scene one and two but, in scene three I require my fat dodo to walk up a hill to attempt to fly by jumping off a cliff. The waypoint script is not appropriate for this as it only allows the character to go in straight paths from waypoint to waypoint. On uneven terrain the characters catches on dips and bumps and then starts bouncing around as its collider and rigid body hit the terrains collider.

If I remove the terrains collider then my character simply passes right through the bumps and dips in terrain.

I'm going to leave this scene for now while I think of a solution.

Update 30/05/2010
As I am beginning to run out of time to complete the animatic I have decided to just add a character controller to the dodo and have the user manually control it's movement. For the rest of the scene setup there are two triggers. The first of which switches the camera when the dodo gets to the top of the hill. The second loads the next scene.

The animation for the dodo trying to flying and roll down the hill is obvious quite rough. It will take a considerable amount of time next semester to get this just right.

No comments:

Post a Comment